Friday, September 16, 2016

Book Review: Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Book Review: Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine

The book starts out with Ruth Jefferson, a respected African American nurse in a Labor and Delivery Unit. One day she is removed from the care of a child simply because the child’s parents are white supremacists and don’t want her near them or their baby due to the color of her skin. The baby develops medical issues and even though Ruth intervenes after some hesitation the baby passes away. This leads to murder charges being filed against Ruth.

I didn’t read this book to enjoy it. I knew from the blurb and the topic of race issues that it wasn’t meant to be a fun read but a serious one. I was outraged on Ruth’s behalf due to the unfairness of the charges but the author quickly points out that I am not allowed to be. I felt like I was being preached at because I happen to be white. How dare I have any empathy for a fellow human being who is being treated wrong? Just because I’m not the same skin color I can’t relate?

The characters are complex and for the most part well written. The courtroom drama is there. The racial tensions are high. Ruth has several in depth conversations with her white attorney about why she can never understand everything that she has gone through because she isn’t black. While I understand what Picoult is trying to convey not everyone has reaped the benefits of “white privilege”. Like it or not it needs to be said that there are white people out there who have gone through similar things as to what Ruth goes through.

The overall tone aside this book will certainly make you think and question how you look at some things in the world. It was compelling but it’s not an easy read.


I received an advanced reader copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment