Thursday, January 30, 2020

Deadly Waters by Dot Hutchison

Title: Deadly Waters by Dot Hutchison
Publisher: Thomas & Mercer
Release Date: 5/19/2020



I have reviewed a book by Dot Hutchison before so I was eager to jump into the first book of a reported new series. I was not disappointed.

Her writing is solid and her setting descriptions really make you feel the oppressive humidity of Florida. The only two draw backs I found in this novel were the large amount of characters you are hit with in the beginning. They are hard to keep track of at times and I hope they are fleshed out more in the future books. Also, the topic. Young male predators and the women they sexually assault. This is an important topic to be discussed but there were a few moments that it felt like the message overpowered the book and was a bit preachy.

That being said, let's get to the good stuff! Rebecca Sorley is a college student at the UF campus in Florida. One body pops up and then another. The connection between them? They have previously assaulted a female student. It seems that we have a vigilante on our hands. How many more bodies will there be? Is anyone safe?

I was able to guess who the killer was early on in the story and you would think that it would make it less enjoyable. That's not the case. The author intertwines the story of Rebecca with the killer and her room mates, most notably Ellie and Hafsah. Ellie, especially, has a history of violence against men and speaking her thoughts with no filter. She's immediately made the number one suspect in the reader's mind and in Rebecca's. Quiet and strong Hafsah shares the same thoughts. If you thought your best friend was a killer, would you be able to turn her in? Would you agree with her motives?

The story makes you think "well maybe I was wrong and the killer is X" and then there is a little swerve that makes you doubt yourself again.

Without giving too much away, the killer disposes of her victims with the help of a familiar Florida native. The gator. As the story goes on, I was made to question whether or not the killer was really evil. I mean, the guys she was killing were scum. Wasn't she doing the world a favor?

It also makes you take a good look about how secretive many women are about sexual assault and reporting it. If your offender was only going to get a slap on the wrist from the court system, wouldn't having someone erase him from the planet be a better option? If that happened, would you actually feel justice and closure?

This book is intense and gripping and the ending, though for some predictable, will leave you wondering...what is going to happen next? I've asked so many questions here and I must say, the book makes you question a lot of things as well. 

I sincerely hope that I am offered the chance to request the next book in the series once it becomes available. I won't be satisfied until I read the whole story.

A million thanks to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to review this book. Especially to NetGalley for introducing me to Dot Hutchison back when she wrote her debut novel. I'm forever grateful as she has a true talent and a joy to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment